Mel Gibson's Spiritual Warning for "Resurrection of the Christ" Sequel Revealed
Longtime collaborator Randall Wallace shares insights into the profound caution Gibson expressed before embarking on the follow-up to "The Passion of the Christ."
Entertainment·

Randall Wallace, a frequent collaborator with actor and director Mel Gibson, has shed light on a profound spiritual caution Gibson conveyed to him as they prepared to write the sequel to the acclaimed film "The Passion of the Christ."
Wallace, 76, who has a long history of working with Gibson, 70, on projects such as 1995's "Braveheart," 2002's "We Were Soldiers," and 2016's "Hacksaw Ridge," co-wrote the screenplay for "The Resurrection of the Christ" alongside Gibson and his brother, Donal Gibson.
During a recent appearance on Raymond Arroyo's podcast "Arroyo Grande," Wallace recounted how he was the one who initially urged Gibson to explore the Resurrection narrative following the immense success of the original "The Passion of the Christ."
"Mel didn't approach me. I approached him, actually," Wallace stated, detailing the initiation of their work on "The Resurrection of the Christ."
Wallace further noted that while Gibson had contemplated the Resurrection over the years, the initial cut of "The Passion of the Christ" did not include a resurrection scene. He explained that feedback from viewers prompted Gibson to add the brief epilogue that concludes the film, depicting Jesus rising, leaving the tomb, and revealing the wounds on his hands.
Initiating the Spiritual Endeavor
The idea for a feature-length film focusing on the Resurrection was proposed by Wallace to Gibson in 2016, during a promotional tour for "Hacksaw Ridge."
"Having studied the Resurrection and being so consumed by it, I thought about it many times," Wallace recalled. "I didn't have anything to do with ‘The Passion of the Christ.’ When we were promoting ‘Hacksaw Ridge,’ we were sitting there talking about our lives, and I said, ‘Look, you know, the story that you really need to tell is the Resurrection.’"
Wallace then described Gibson's reaction to the suggestion, remembering the director's belief that such a significant project could attract spiritual opposition.
"There was this long pause, and he said something profoundly beautiful. He said, 'If we do this, it can't be for the money, and it can't be to get back at people that have hated us or wronged us or been unhappy with us,'" Wallace recounted. "And I said, ‘Amen to that.’"
Gibson then issued a stark warning: "Then he said, 'You know, Satan's going to come after you.'"
Wallace responded humorously, "I said, 'Well, you know, Satan doesn't really care about Baptists.' It's really good when Satan can get a Catholic. We're a dime a dozen," a remark that drew laughter from Arroyo. Wallace admitted he was being facetious but also pondered the possibility of Gibson's words holding truth.
Arroyo interjected, asking, "What if he's right?" to which Wallace conceded, "Well, yeah." Arroyo added, "That's what I would be thinking."
Wallace described their subsequent discussion as "a beautiful conversation about grace." This exchange marked the beginning of their collaborative effort on "The Resurrection of the Christ."
"I knew he had written ‘The Passion,’ was very much deeply involved in the writing of it. And I said, 'Look, let's partner up. I'll write a draft, give it to you, then we'll start tearing it up, go through it. You do your thing, I'll do mine. We'll work together, we'll work apart.' So we started that way," Wallace explained.
Bringing a Two-Part Vision to the Screen
Gibson has previously indicated that he, Wallace, and Donal dedicated approximately six to eight years to writing and refining the screenplay for "The Resurrection of the Christ," which is planned as a two-part film.
In May, Gibson announced that production on the sequel had concluded. "The Resurrection of the Christ: Part One" is slated for release on May 6, 2027, coinciding with Ascension Day, a Christian observance commemorating Jesus Christ's ascent into heaven 40 days after Easter Sunday. "The Resurrection of the Christ: Part Two" is scheduled to premiere on May 25, 2028, over Memorial Day weekend.
In a press statement, Gibson expressed that the story was realized "exactly as I envisioned it."
"I’m deeply grateful to my incredibly talented cast and crew for pouring their hearts into this production. Together, we created something powerful," Gibson stated. "This film represents a major part of my life’s work, and it has demanded everything of me as a filmmaker and as an artist. This is far more than a film to me. It’s a mission I’ve carried for over 20 years to tell what I believe is the most important story in human history."
"The Passion of the Christ," released in February 2004, depicted the final 12 hours of Jesus’ life leading up to his crucifixion. Its graphic portrayal of violence and sensitive subject matter made it one of the most debated films of that year. The movie achieved significant commercial success, earning over $610 million worldwide against a reported budget of $30 million, and received Academy Award nominations for its makeup, musical score, and cinematography.
A Unique and Orthodox Narrative
During his conversation with Arroyo, Wallace offered a glimpse into what audiences can anticipate from the highly anticipated follow-up.
"His unique vision of the spiritual realm is really special," Wallace said, referring to Gibson.
He continued, "The interesting thing is that, while in some ways — the ultimate movie — I want to keep it all secret about what's going to happen. But the ultimate movie, in some ways, will have elements that people have never seen before."
Wallace further elaborated, "In fact, in many ways, it'll be stuff nobody's ever seen. And yet I believe it'll be, in a certain way, the most orthodox telling. It'll be the most consistent telling of the overall belief, the awe and the mystery that Christians experience when they experience the Resurrection."
Related Stories

Federal Agents Reportedly Join Investigation into Actress Hayden Panettiere's Death
Federal agents have reportedly joined the investigation into the death of actress Hayden Panettiere. The 36-year-old was found unresponsive in South Carolina, with authorities now assisting ongoing inquiries into her
Aug 20

Heather Graham Showcases Stunning Physique During Romantic Italian Getaway with Michele Civetta
Actress Heather Graham delighted fans with photos from her romantic Italian vacation with boyfriend Michele Civetta. The 56-year-old showcased her fit physique in various bikinis while enjoying Positano's stunning
Aug 20

John Stamos Marks 63rd Birthday with Revealing Photo, Igniting Fan Excitement
Celebrating his 63rd birthday, John Stamos posted a shirtless mirror selfie on Instagram, showcasing his physique and a significant tattoo. Fans, including former co-stars, flooded the comments with nostalgic references
Aug 19

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Planning Return to UK with Children After Six Years
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly planning a return to the UK with Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet later this month. Reports indicate their children are enrolled in a British school for September, and
Aug 19