News Network Defends Iran War Coverage After Retired General Questions Anonymous Sources On Air
A prominent news organization stood by its reporting on military strategy concerning Iran following criticism from a retired general regarding the use of unnamed sources.
Media·

A retired general publicly questioned the accuracy of a news network's reporting regarding the Chairman's private discussions on de-escalation with Iran, following an on-air query by a prominent anchor. The network subsequently reiterated its commitment to its journalistic standards.
The accuracy concern arose after anchor Omar Jimenez inquired about the network's report suggesting that Chairman Caine was privately seeking an "off-ramp" because further military escalation could potentially have adverse effects.
"I reviewed the article and observed statements from undisclosed sources who claimed last week that no discussions were occurring, a claim that subsequently turned out to be inaccurate," Kimmitt stated.
This challenge to the reporting emerged after both President Donald Trump and Vice President JD Vance had publicly confirmed that diplomatic engagements were indeed in progress.
Network's Defense of its Reporting
The network's article, published on a Friday, did not assert that negotiations were nonexistent. Instead, it cited three sources familiar with the situation who reported that Caine had privately communicated to senior Trump administration officials that relying solely on airpower was unlikely to achieve President Trump's objectives, and that certain options for escalating the conflict carried significant risks.
One of the anonymous sources encapsulated Caine's stance within the report:
"Caine is looking for an off-ramp," the source said.
The article also included an official statement from Caine's spokesman, Joseph Holstead. Holstead rejected anonymous characterizations of the chairman's private conversations but declined to reveal the specifics of what Caine had conveyed to President Trump and other high-ranking officials.
"We do not discuss the Chairman’s confidential conversations with the President, the Secretary, or other senior leaders, nor do we comment on anonymous, agenda-driven characterizations of those conversations by sources who were not privy to them," Holstead affirmed.
Broader Strategic Concerns
Kimmitt's critique extended beyond the network's sourcing practices. The former general contended that the United States had not yet met its primary objectives concerning Iran's nuclear program, missile capabilities, and backing of regional proxy groups.
"Look, I think it’s fair to say that we are not close to achieving our strategic objectives of ending the nuclear program, ending the missile program, and cutting off support for the proxies," Kimmitt elaborated. "We do have the situation with the Strait of Hormuz. Those issues are undeniable."
Kimmitt also highlighted that Caine, while advising the president on Iran matters, must concurrently consider the threats posed by China, the ongoing support for Ukraine, and the military assets available to other combatant commanders.
In response, anchor Jimenez acknowledged that reporters also prefer officials to speak on the record.
"Hey, General, you said something that we preach all the time. I sure wish more folks would go on the record, too. But that’s me as a reporter," Jimenez remarked.
This discussion regarding source attribution took place as the Trump administration continued diplomatic efforts aimed at reopening the Strait of Hormuz.
Related Stories

Erika Kirk Urges Conservative Students to Uphold Campus Movement in First Academic Year Since Husband's Death
Erika Kirk, head of Turning Point USA, has challenged conservative students to remain steadfast in their activism as they begin the new academic year. She emphasized courage and debate, ensuring the movement founded by
Aug 20

RNC Warns Democrats Face Electoral Consequences Over DSA's Praise for Fidel Castro and Rubio Prosecution Demand
The RNC warned of political fallout for Democrats after the Democratic Socialists of America praised Fidel Castro and demanded the prosecution of Secretary Marco Rubio, citing his role in U.S. pressure campaigns on Cuba.
Aug 20

Journalist Ross Barkan Announces Break from Work Following Plagiarism Allegations and Apology
Ross Barkan, a former New York Magazine writer, has announced a temporary leave for “self-reflection” after apologizing for plagiarism allegations. An investigation by New York Magazine found he failed to meet editorial
Aug 20

Pennsylvania AG Considers University Accountability After Alleged Fraternity Drug Ring Uncovered at Penn State
Pennsylvania Attorney General Dave Sunday addressed whether his office would pursue action against Penn State following the discovery of an alleged cocaine trafficking ring operating through university fraternities,
Aug 19